6 WordPress Image Optimization Plugin Compared
Google recommend us to optimize images before uploading it to our web page, So it can be load fast and score big in Google page speed insight. If you are using WordPress then it become easier to optimize Images. Because there are some plugins that can do this task automatically.
Without image a blog post is boring and it looks dumb to everyone. You know that, An image worth thousands words. That’s why every well written blog post deserves good quality image. Though images are good but It also has some noticeable performance issue. Using images increase webpage load time. Image Optimization can solve this issue.
Through this blog post, I will compare most popular WordPress image optimization plugins. So you can pick the right one for your WordPress blog. But before we share the comparison of WordPress image optimization plugin, I’d like to share why you must optimize images before publishing.
Non-Optimized images will eat up your precious bandwidth. If you are on a web-hosting service that limit the bandwidth, Then Non-Optimized images can be a big problem for you. It also increase the loading time that will hurt your website SEO. You know that robots and humans hate slow loading website. Images can also send traffic to your website through image search.
You should also have a good knowledge about your WordPress theme, Because sometimes we use images that is larger than the content area. Though this can be solved easily with a two line of css code, But using extra large image that isn’t necessary can drastically increase the page loading time.
There are a few other image optimization system instead “smashing and resizing” can increase the chance of getting good rank on search engine. Here are some of these:
- Lazy Loading Images: The name itself describe what it does. Lazy loading images can drastically improve your site performance. It basically load the text and other content of your site before loading images and the images load only when user request them. It works out of the box and thousands of sites utilizing lazy load plugin.
- Naming It Properly: Naming your images properly is a kind of optimization. It helps search engine to show up the images on search engine with it’s name. Actually naming a image doesn’t help on performance but it helps in SEO. Using proper name for your images help you track and SEO’ers can insert keyword to get good ranking on Google image search.
- Don’t Forget title & alt attribute: Title and Alt attribute has no effect on site performance but it essential in SEO. Every SEO’ers and bloggers know that Alt and Title tag is a one of the most important google ranking factor. Actually Boot can’t read images unless it has Title and Alt attribute tag. It’s also a good habit to put Alt and title tag while uploading images to your WordPress. You can learn more about Alt and Title tag optimization here.
6 WordPress Image Optimization Plugin
Now let me share the top 6 WordPress Image Optimization Plugin
WP Smush – Image Optimization
WP Smush is a most popular WordPress image optimization plugin by WPMU DEV. WP Smush use WordPress Smush API to optimize image without losing it’s quality. All the heavy lifting or image optimization processed by their server. You can also choose the maximum height and width and the large images will scale down.
WP Smush losslessly optimize your images. It will automatically smush all your images while upload to media library and You can bulk optimize 50 images at a time. The free version supports all standard web sized images up to 1mb.
Here are some of the key feature of WP Smush:
- Losslessly optimize images with advanced technology.
- Auto process images or bulk process 50 image at a time.
- Process JPEG, PNG and Gif.
- Set maximum Width and height and WP Smush will resize over-sized images before being uploaded to the media library.
JPEG Optimization: Original Image Size: 346kb and after optimization: 211kb (Lossless)
PNG Optimization: Original Image Size: 762kb and after optimization: 297kb (Lossy)
EWWW Image Optimizer
EWWW Image optimizer is another WordPress image optimization plugin. It also optimize your images automatically while uploading to media library and it also has bulk image optimization functionality to optimize a lot of images with single click. EWWW image optimizer works out of the box.
With this plugin user can convert images from PNG to JPG and This plugin can optimize PNG, JPG and Gif. It also optimize pdf files as well. Like WP Smush, EWWW optimizer has the option to set the maximum width and height, So when you upload an over-sized image, It automatically resize the image before uploading to the media library.
Here are some key feature of EWWW Image Optimizer:
- This plugin Optimize or compress images without losing image quality.
- It also optimize PDF files.
- You can convert images from PNG to JPG and JPG to PNG.
- Works Automatically while uploading.
- You can also bulk optimize non-optimized images with single click.
JPEG Optimization: Original Image Size: 346kb and after optimization: 129kb (Lossy)
PNG Optimization: Original Image Size: 762kb and after optimization: 212kb (Lossy)
Imagify Image Optimizer
Imagify Image Optimizer works similar to WP Smush and EWWW Image Optimizer. This plugin optimize/compress your images without losing the image quality and works automatically. This plugin also compatible with WooCommerce and NextGen Gallery.
In order to use this plugin you need to create a free account at imagify.io. Because you will need to enter imagify API key to activate this plugin. Actually this plugin is a premium but you can use it free if your monthly image upload is lesser than 25mb.
Here are some key feature of Imagify Image Optimizer:
- Bulk optimize images in your WordPress Media library.
- Works automatically while uploading to media library.
- Lossless optimization in normal optimization level.
- Automatically resize extra large images
- Compatible with WooCommerce and NextGen Gallery.
JPEG Optimization: Original Image Size: 346kb and after optimization: 183kb (Lossless)
PNG Optimization: Original Image Size: 762kb and after optimization: 231kb (Lossless)
ShortPixel Image Optimizer
ShortPixel image optimizer is another WordPress image optimization plugin that requires ShortPixel API key to activate the plugin. The registration is free. It automatically compress image in both Lossless and lossy compression method.
ShortPixel is capable of removing or stored EXIF data upon your configuration choice. One of the good part of ShortPixel is, It stores the original image and you can restore it anytime. It also compress jpg, png, gif and pdf.
Here are some key feature of ShortPixel Image Optimizer:
- It optimize JPG, PNG, GIF and PDF.
- Works automatically using lossy or lossless optimization method.
- Store original image and easy restore.
- Woo Commerce compatible and support bulk optimization.
- No file size limit.
- Optimize thumbnail and featured image.
JPEG Optimization: Original Image Size: 346kb and after optimization: 287kb (Lossless)
PNG Optimization: Original Image Size: 762kb and after optimization: 330kb (Losslesss)
Optimus – WordPress Image Optimizer
Optimus WordPress image optimizer works out of the box, The only problem is, The free version of optimums doesn’t optimize more than 100kb of file size. Optimus is a easy to use plugin that doesn’t require a lot of settings. It will optimize images automatically as they are uploaded.
This plugin won’t only optimize the original image, It also optimize thumbnail, featured, small, medium and large that is automatically created by WordPress.
Here are some key feature of Optimus:
- Optimized for WordPress mobile apps and Windows live writter.
- Optimus creates progressive jpeg images
- Compress every images that is created by WordPress.
- This plugin keep EXIF and IPTC metadata.
JPEG Optimization: Original Image Size: 83kb and after optimization: 62kb (Lossless)
PNG Optimization: Original Image Size: 79kb and after optimization: 66kb (Lossless)
Compress JPEG & PNG images
This plugin uses lossy compression methods and dramatically reduces the size of images and increase performance. Though, this plugin use lossy compression methods, But in our test we didn’t find a noticeable change on image quality.
The settings are easy and very simple. All you need is TinyPNG API Key to get started. After successful setting up, Once an image is uploaded to your WordPress it sent to TinyPNG or TinyJPG server and scan for best possible optimization and once the image is optimized it sent back to your WordPress and replace with original one.
Here are some key feature of Compress JPEG & PNG Images:
- As this plugin uses Lossy compression method, It reduces file size around 40% – 80%.
- Resize extra large images automatically by setting up the maximum width and height.
- Multi site support and WooCommerce compatible.
- No file size limit.
JPEG Optimization: Original Image Size: 346kb and after optimization: 97kb (Lossy)
PNG Optimization: Original Image Size: 762kb and after optimization: 273kb (Lossy)
Optimizing images are essential. It also an important factor in SEO and user satisfaction. Optimizing Images not only good for SEO, It also makes backup easier. While Image optimization removes every possible bytes from images without losing quality, It use less bandwidth then non-optimized.
Now you have plenty of choices. Choose that is perfectly suited with your needs. And don’t forget to share your opinion about this topic and let me know, if you’ve experienced any of these plugin or which WordPress image optimization plugin do you use on your WordPress website?